Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #75
noknowncure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
My answer is clear (at least in my mind ): by giving the player an actual freedom of choice. Are you familiar with the old Quest for Glory series? Let's say that you are in front of a locked door. Perhaps, you want to knock it down; perhaps, I want to find an alternate route inside (maybe breaking a window) and perhaps another player want to actually retrieve the correct key. In literature, the character is a complex amalgam of traits (psychological, emotional, historical - all things that the superior narrative of adventure games, if done well, perfectly conveys) but also of actions (choices, actual actions, decisions).
I agree with this entirely. And it's something other genres do without a second thought. Multiple solutions that determine what kind of individual you are would really enrich adventure games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Now, I stand by my point that - no matter how elaborate the story of a FPS or RPG (I played Oblivion, Morrowind, The Witcher, Fallout 3 - just to name a few recent ones) can be - adventures, if done well, have a superior narrative, more intimate, more deep and poignant, thanks to their meditative (and sometimes breath-taking or heart-pounding) pace and to their focus on character, plot, Spannung, dialogues, etc. If adventures can incorporate in this narrative multiple paths, even in the form of optional tasks (like GK3 or Under a Killing Moon, or Conquests of the Longbow), they will succeed in bring the story to the next level.
I don't agree with this necessarily. The way an Adventure Game tells a story - when compared to other genres - is certainly different, but not superior.

Different types of story work better with different approaches. Adventure Games do things in a way that other games would find difficult to achieve, but the reverse is also true.