Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #71
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I'm thinking your sentiments definitely applied several years ago..........
I agree with just about everything you've said in this post... In fact;
Quote:
Well, you could also write to the developers and publishers guilty of this. Tell them exactly what you stated here. If enough people do that they may finally listen. But if enough people stop buying their games precisely for stated reasons, then they have no choice BUT to listen.
/cheer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_beck_90 View Post
The second would be a slower pace in favor of a better exposition .
Please define "better".
maybe he should have said "to favor" instead of "in favor". (Personally I think he should have said "In favour" ). I've always defined 'exposition' as the level of detail in which things are explained or the way details are exposed. (This seemed pretty much in line with the google dictionary definition, even if it's a loose interpretation).

With this in mind I suppose that “better” would be subject to the opinion to those in creative control or those viewing whatever medium it is in question. Personally I think “better” is more detailed, but that doesn’t necessary mean information given in the dialogue or the actions of the characters but sometimes within the environment itself.

In the case of movies I often find it’s more intriguing to withhold as much information as possible that explains the actions of those on screen, or give information that can be easily misconstrued or subject to numerous interpretations in order to mislead, until the very last minute or until after the culminating events. (Mind you, very few movies do this particularly well).

Actually, this would probably work in Adventure games (and might have worked in the many I haven’t yet played) so long as this method of misleading the player is confined to the story and not the actual puzzles.