View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #150
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Is it just that it's kids stuff, though?

There are some genuinely thought provoking works in general canon which are far deeper than anybody would really give them credit for. The best example of this is probably the Incredible Hulk, which is a retelling of Jekyll & Hyde and Frankenstein’s monster all at once. But the beauty of it is simply overlooked because of the terrible dialogue you tend to get in comics.

Then again, the Hulk isn't really an example of superheroes with silly names and garish costumes.

Works like The Sandman, however, have won literary awards. It won 1 in particular (I think it was the 'Calliope' story that won the prize) and there was outrage that the award should be claimed by a comic. So much so that the following year the rules had been changed so that comics could not win the award.

I really think that's it's more that cheesy stories, bad plots, awful dialogues and other little discrepancies that I've already mentioned that have caused comics to gradually lose the interest of everybody except those who can't see those faults for what they are; children, those who actually like those cheesy faults and obsessive die hard fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Oh, you misunderstand me. I didn't mean that Morrison's writing offends me because it tries to be shocking. I'm okay with shocking. I meant that Morrison's writing offends me because it's usually so horrifically bad. His plots are like a little kid playing with action figures, and his characters are always unrelatable. And then he pours on heaping mounds of pretension, as though that fixes everything.
I agree with that, too.