View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #147
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
What have you both read from Alan Moore and Grant Morrison? It's hard to see how works like Watchmen or Morrison's All-Star Superman (or even Moore's 2000AD: The Ballad of H. Jones) didn't impressed you at all
I started 2000AD after Halo Jones. I like what Watchmen did for the comics industry, in as much as they forced people to examine the whole 'superhero' genre but I really had to force myself to the end of it, and it's the first time I had to do that with any graphic novel. In spite of it's cynical take on superheroes didn't you find some parts... I don't know...

I mean Rorschach's entire method of investigation seemed to consist of walking into some random pub and beating people up until somebody gave him information (without any reason given as to why the people of that particular pub might have people with said information) and harassing a retired costumed villain who only ever took up his costume as part of a trend that never really caught on.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

It's almost as bad as Batman walking up to people on the streets and showing them pictures (some dark knight...)

For me Alan Moore's best work is V for Vendetta. There were some parts I still found a little hit and miss but it's about the finest piece of work he's ever been associated with.

From Grant Morrison... Actually I haven't read as much of his stuff. But just because I think he's overrated doesn't mean I don't like some of the stuff he's done. There's actually a fair few titles that bare his name that are actually still on my personal 'reading list'.

I liked the invisibles (but I gave up after the 4th one; it wasn't having nearly the affect on me that reviews said it would; I already questioned reality and subscribed to plenty of conspiracy theories, and the plot lost whatever quality that made me like it after the second book. Does anybody else think that King Mob looked a lot like Morrison?) and his work on The Authority, but nearly as much as I liked the Authority before he got involves with it.

[quote]Guess you're talking about the Crisis events, dunno if its every 15years or so....[/SPOILER] Actually I was talking about all of the 'golden age' and 'silver age' (and whatever the names of the other DC comic ages are) stuff. Apparently events can't crossover from one 'age' of comics to another, or so I've been lead to believe. Variations of characters or events that may have unfolded in a specific time remain canonical to those specific ages. (I learned this while researching of one of the batman characters, but I don't remember which).

To be honest I have no idea how this system really works. Feel free to enlighten me if you know more.
Quote:
Now there's one writer that i think is overrated as hell. I remember reading some reviews that said something like "Pride of Baghdad is as good as Watchmen" .. man what a waste of money, a graphic novel only saved by its art.
Thanks, if somebody says something is "as good as Watchmen" I'll be sure not to waste my money on it, either.

Quote:
My only complain in comics is that when they die, they should stay dead.
Yeah, fair enough.
Quote:
They live in their own world, costumes\powers are something they're used to. Why does that bother you so much? They know they look ridiculous , they often say it so.
It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if the genre didn't dominate comics the way it does. If it wasn't for the Superhero comics the world has become used to then people would be far more accepting of the graphic novel's place in the world of fine literature that it's become increasingly deserving of in the last 20 years or so.

I don't actually hate the superhero genre I just have problems with it. Some times I actually like it. It just usually comes with a layer of cheese that's hard to digest and sometimes comes with so much cheese that you have to scrape it off before you can enjoy it. (I actually like cheese, personally, and have no problems disgusting it but it's a metaphor).

I was just writing about my personal tastes and preferences. I'm interested to hear people's opinions and wanted to share my own.