View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #145
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I agree with you 100%. Alan Moore has never impressed me, and Grant Morrison actively offends my sensibilities with almost everything he writes.
Thanks While Moore's work has usually failed to impress me or generally capture my imagination I'd like to make it clear to everybody that I still really respect him for raising the level of maturity in comics and de-emphasising the need for all western/english comics to be about super powered vigilantes and opening the door for great writers, particularly the aforementioned Neil Gaiman.

Morrison doesn't offend me too much, I think he's one of those people who confuses 'mature' fiction with shocking. I'll say the same for Garth Ennis (Preacher). It sets the genre back to childish toilet humour and bad language. You don't need to have these things on every page for adults to enjoy them! The Sandman certainly didn't need it.

Quote:
I don't understand what the "lie" was concerning 100 Bullets- it's an excellent comic, from what little I've read of it.
The 'lie' was the assurances given that 100 bullets didn't have the same cliché pitfalls of so many other comics. It had fewer clichés (now super powered costumed vigilantes, for one thing) and a realistic (non sci-fi or fantasy) story but it still had bad dialogue in places and the same unrealistic standards of beauty. I'm not saying I hated it, though, I did like the social commentaries, conspiratorial nature of the plot and I may yet buy further parts of the series to see if I might like it more.

Sorry for not being especially clear. It was late at night and I was tired and I didn't want to go to bed leaving any 7s in my post count. (Aspergers thing, you understand).