View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Well now I'm too shy to continue this line of questioning... and you'd probably be met with a blank stare. In the UK this is 'Jelly'. (Well, obviously it's not all Jelly, but just one example of the many forms it may take ).

What I'd recommend you ask for, should the situation arise, is "that thingy with jam in the middle". It might be a good idea, for both of us, to learn translations of the word 'jam' (or Jelly, for you United State'ians) in whatever language either of us might happen to visit. I think I may have spotted a potential difference. When I, or my mother or other miscellaneous relatives, making icing, we take Icing sugar (I assume this is the same as your powdered sugar, I could be wrong) or sometimes caster sugar (if icing sugar is unavailable) butter and whatever flavouring takes our fancies (I'm rather partial to vanilla and lime zest, with maybe a little almond), put them together in the same bowl and simply beat until smooth.
It's nothing I would apologize for, nor should it be also for a Brit if they held up a sweater and asked, "What do you think of this jumper?", or if they said, "Hold the lift, please! Thanks, 3rd floor, please."

Of course, I would never give anyone a blank stare. Colloquialisms and other forms of speech are merely textures in communications.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien