View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Can someone explain why Danish pastry has a name referring to Vienna in the Nordic countries and France.
Errr... Pass. As far as I know 'Danish' refers to things that come from or originate from Denmark.

And pastry... Well, that does kind of confuse me because in English 'pastry' is a dough that you line pie dishes with before filling them with the filling of your choice and then topping with another layer of pastry. Ofc, pastry is used in things other than pies but pies are probably the most universally recognisable uses of pastry. However I have noticed, through TV and movies, that many United State'ians sometimes refer to other things as pastry when I've been reasonably sure pastry is not one of the ingredients. (This includes donuts, but no other examples spring to mind).

But that reminds me of another confusing food-related conundrum; I have heard, though, that the Cornish pasty doesn't actually come from Cornwall (a Celtic region in SE England) but instead from another European country which I can't actually remember. (I probably know the name of the country in question and perhaps 1 or 2 items of related trivia, I just don't remember which one gave the world the Cornish Pasty).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Melanie... You seem well versed in so many topics close to my heart... Are you single by any chance?

That site raises something else I've never been too sure of, though; what's the difference between Icing and Frosting?

My mother informs me that Frosting is a ready-made substance United State'ians purchase from shops to spread on their cakes (and anything else, I guess). (By default meaning that Icing was something that the rest of world makes at home for the same task(s). I took her at her word at the time but it occurred to me that there might be some people in the US who make their own icing (she’s very cynical and prone to exaggeration while I’m just as cynical and tend to take people literally when they’re generalising).

Ofc, it could be another “2 nations divided by a common language” thing. I only recently learned that “cilantro” is actually just coriander. (I was disappointed, I’d heard it mentioned on loads of US TV shows and thought it was some incredible synthetic ingredient that helps you cheat at cookery when it was sitting on my shelf all along).