Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #66
daniel_beck_90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
the one thing I find absurd about Adventure games is the reliance on puzzles, and the continuing need to include them so as to identify what "genre" they belong in. I am being half-facetious in the title, there have often been times where the puzzle, often well-integrated, resulted in a very gratifying moment where I solved part of the story.

I just hate how puzzles MUST be in an adventure game. I don't find them necessary but often distracting, and quite frankly often the first thing to break my suspension of disbelief. The world, and the story, must be the most important thing - immersion is key as well, but don't think you must create half-assed logic puzzles as a lazy measure to artificially create immersion.

/longwindedrantthathasbeeninmyheadforabout5yearsnow .
I have to admit that I am with you to some degrees . Adventure games are all about intriguing stories that can not really be narrated in other genres (Except for RPGs ). I have always considered adventure games to be more like interactive fictions rather than a game and that is precisely why I find this genre so interesting .

Puzzle solving has always been an integral part of all adventure games and more often than not the majority of fans find those aforementioned puzzles quite amusing and entertaining .
To put it simple we have to contemplate the nature of adventure games .

WHAT MAKES THIS GENRE ANY DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS ?

The first would be the subtle focus on story telling and narration in a more detailed manner . The second would be a slower pace in favor of a better exposition . The third would be high level of interaction with objects and environments (that does not necessarily help progress the story) by observing , commenting , picking , using , combining and so on . The fourth would be dialogs , diaries , transcriptions , pre recorded statements and so forth .

The last would be puzzles ; if you take a look back at the previous elements you'd realize that all of them could be turned into some sort of puzzle in one way or another . Finding the right combination , locating the right person to engage in the right conversation , finding the right path , reading the right diary to find a clue as to what to do next …………… Long story short you are solving puzzles all the time while playing adventure games .

However, to my understanding you are trying to refer to more run-of-the-mill puzzles that are put in the game for the sake of extending its length such as sliding puzzles , mazes , opening safes and whatnot and I have to say that I am totally with you . But I should also mention that this is merely personal taste and when for example I do not like a specific puzzle I would simply use a walkthrough and proceed through the game hoping to find another puzzle that I actually dare to take the time and solve .

Every now and then I find some puzzles dull and not worthy of my time , some hotspots maddeningly hard to find , some dialogs impossible to engage , some items frustrating to find ……….So What Do I Do ?

I use a walkthrough and enjoy rest of the game !!!

I know this statement has become too long but in the end I just want to say that as time passes by and new adventure games hit the shelves ,those so called puzzles are becoming somewhat easier and hints and clues are becoming more abundant . Many newer games are providing the player with optional hints and keys that show all the hotspots ( Next life , Overclocked …….) and some even let you bypass puzzles (CSI: NY) so in the end if you still find some puzzles so annoying to solve then you can just use a walkthrough and get it over with . AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I DO .

Take Care