Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #63
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Are there any fine examples of "well designed" intellectual challenges in a characteristic and contemporary adventure game? That is, from the past year or so?

By "well designed" I mean NOT shoved on top of the story for its own sake, LAWL!

It seems almost all the good examples everyone cites are from, what, 10 years ago?
TBH I really didn't realise there were so many AGs around today until I discovered this site. (It's a shame I stumbled on it in a time when money is scarce). Until now all of the AGs I've purchased (except SMI: SE) have been from TellTale.

The only other AGs I've played in the last 2 or 3 years have been SF: Tunguska, Runaway and Broken Sword 4. All of them left a bad taste in my mouth and have actually made me reluctant to try anything new. (I don't think I'd have even tried Sam & Max Save the World if I didn't get it as a christmas gift). (I’ve seen Ankh, Simon the Sorcerer 4 and Jack Keane sitting on the shelf of my local games shop but I’ve been too afraid to buy any of them. Well, I no longer even want to try SS4).

So to answer your question; yes. All of the ‘intellectually challenges’ in the TTG games I’ve played have been well designed inasmuch as they’ve been organic to both the story and the games’ environments, however a few of them could have stood to be a little more challenging, from time to time.

Outside of TellTale Games I’ve played nothing that has been released recently (well, I don’t think Runaway was released until 2007 in the UK, does that count?) and the aforementioned games are the only ones I’ve played in the last 2(ish) years.