View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Scroll down a bit for the history here. I can't vouch for its 100% accuracy, but it's a start.
Thanks, Mel.

I really did suspect that this was the case as I have never heard of the 'English Muffin' until my mother came back from the US and found that nobody sold any.

Here's a quote for anybody too lazy to look up the history of that site;
Quote:
The Brits did not invent the English muffin—in fact, they had never heard of it until the 1990s, when Best Foods, a unit of international conglomerate Unilever, bought the S.B. Thomas brand† and began exporting it to the U.K. No one denies that the English muffin was invented by Samuel Bath Thomas, a New York City resident who had immigrated from Plymouth, England in 1874, worked in a bread bakery, and opened his own in 1880 at 163 Ninth Avenue between 19th and 20th Streets, in the neighborhood known as Chelsea.
†The brand is now owned by George Weston Bakeries, an operating unit of George Weston Ltd.
Seeing as Melanie can't vouch for its accuracy then I guess I can't either. I imagine that the Crumpet would be common there, if not for the muffin. (Seriously, guys; try a crumpet. They're seriously good even if you only spread a little butter, let alone other toppings).

I think it raises a question, though... if 'english muffins' were made to be 'toaster crumpets' then how were crumpets cooked before the toaster? You can grill them but grilled bread is still toast.

And if the crumpet and the muffin are related then I'm going to try using crumpets to sandwich other food (traditionally the crumpet is only served with spreads).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I'm believe they're called English muffins because they're dry and unpleasant.
I was going to type something but it occurred to me that it might be a joke so I'll leave well enough alone. (I didn't take offense; I'm Welsh. But anything I say about the English is an informed opinion having met plenty of them).

Last edited by Marduk; 08-01-2009 at 04:25 PM.