View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #52
orient

I'm playing through Dreamfall at the moment - I picked it up along with The Longest Journey on Steam. After switching the X-axis on the mouse, the controls just fell into place for me. I'd encourage anyone having problems to give that a try.

The one thing I love about direct control is that it's so much quicker than pointing & clicking. If the original TLJ didn't have a "skip animation" button, I would've went crazy. I actually timed an animation in that game at one point because it was so ridiculously long and boring. The game made you wait for over 30 seconds, just to watch these little twig creatures walk up a tree Why!? It was almost painful.

I appreciate the conciseness of point & click controls, but 3D environments and direct control make me feel more involved in a game. You actually move your character instead of giving them directions and you can often move the camera, to view environments from different angles, as opposed to one static, pre-rendered shot of an area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
So far, Zoe has been unable to recognize that her friend is right in front of her, been unable to pick up her cellphone, and then, inexplicably, in a fight, she was not able to throw punches/kick. All she could do was block.
I encourage you to tweak the controls if you haven't already. As I mentioned, try flipping the X-axis. It made a world of difference to me. As for Zoe not being able to punch and kick, that really makes no sense to me; it's as easy as clicking Left & Right Mouse. Works every time, unless you're being hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
But...the worst, is the FIELD SCAN. Talk about an immersion-kill. Imagine spending your life, and you want to access the fridge, you must stand up straight and slowly scan left to right until FRIDGE AQUIRED.
Or you could just face the fridge yourself Seriously, I never use the field scan thing. It's cumbersome and pointless. For all interactions, I just walk up to things and click on them.