View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #71
Matan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Onward! View Post
I've played both fairly recently and I didn't notice anything can you please explain and be specific?
Well, I played the CD version a long time ago (something like eight years), so it's hard for me to be very specific. I tried to find a webpage that lists all the differences but couldn't find one. You can find some information on the wikipedia page, as well as here and some examples for the dialog change here. The wikipedia page also says that the CD version lacks alternate solution to puzzles, but they don't give any specific example so I'm not sure what they mean.

To summarize, the three main complaints about the CD version are:

1. It lacks the music in the original game except for music playing on the background of spoken dialog. I think this is actually the worst thing, because the music in the floppy version of Loom is magnificent and really adds to the experience.

2. It lacks many close-ups from the original game. This is also a real shame because the original Loom was a very pretty game, and that is partly due to those close-ups.

3. The dialogs were cut-down. I am not sure how bad this is as I did not compare the dialogs one-to-one so I am not sure what was cut.

Edit: Also, not relevant to most people, but the original Loom version is one of the very few adventure games ever translated to hebrew, and so it was one of the first adventure games that I actually understood (played it when I was 8, until then I was playing mostly Sierra parser adventure games by knowing only 6 basic verbs and randomly combining them with words in the room description when I type "look" I was also still sure "talk man" is valid english and that the L is spoken). "גזע חמקמק האורגים האלה!"