View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
larissa

I waited to reply to this thread until I finished the game, which I just did last night. Oh, that ending!!

I enjoyed the gameplay a lot--I thought VATS was fun, I liked the stuff in the world, I thought the NPCs that were there were interesting, and so on. I actually didn't think the game was a patch on either Oblivion or Morrowind in terms of stories and quests--I agree there was really not a lot of depth. The sidequests were interesting, but I thought the quests in Oblivion were much better and more inventive--they were a lot more AG-like as well, with what felt like problems that required intelligence for solutions. (The main thing I thought comparable in FO3 was when you enter Dr. Braun's vault to get his G.E.C.K.--that sort of quest is really fairly clever.) I expected that the Karma system would have some cool consequences, but it didn't feel like that to me--just meant that there was a Jesus-like icon in my stats window. Basically, I felt like most of what I was being asked to do was go and kill something and bring an artifact back from the trip. And the lack of magic (aside from chems) was really sad--Bethesda is known for that and so it made the absence of magical effects all the more obvious, I thought.

I'm not sure whether I'll go back to it. It obviously has a lot of replay value and, if you're a dedicated role-player, you could create quite a few interesting personalities, I'd think. There are some cool mods already and I'm sure there will be more--I modded my MW and Oblivion up and got a lot more out of them that way. But overall, I feel like I just had a McDonald's. It seemed really awesome at the time but now I feel kinda gross and hungry again . . . meh.