Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #2700
MikeLXXXVIII

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

1. Why is Twitter so popular?
2. Have you ever immersed yourself in a fad?
3. Are you more, or less susceptible to fads than when you were younger?

I thought these questions raised an interesting discussion.

1. The appeal might be because of its simplicity and style but then again it also have to do with that many people and celebrities are using it.

2. Hmm I guess you can unconciously immerse yourself in a fad. As we are product of our societies either we like or not. Nothing is truly independent. But I would like to say I have never been much someone who was into spontanious fashion. When I was younger I knew and suspected everyone would stop liking things when it was not "popular" anymore, or when you are too "grown" up for things. Which is just pathetic in my opinion. So I guess to answer I would have to say no.

3. I am definetly more sceptical but if I was sceptical as a 10 year old to these things I wouldn't say I am much more improved now than back then.

Just to put some extra thoughts on the discussion. If I look at the definition of fad, since it can mean many things. *although a very negative denotation in the word itself*

fad [fad] Show IPA
–noun a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.

I would say there is nothing positive with it. It's like some social movement without a goal or a cause *its worse than that*. I have a big dislike for those who can't keep their minds at the same place especially if it changes by just a few months. Everyone can change, nothing wrong with that but when its regulated and shifts that quickly its just wasteful. Can you imagine how much bullshit materials get overproduced and others suffering due to the consequence of the production of these "fad" goods, just for a certain period?

Fashion is tasteless, suffering comes with it always. It's of course much better if its more "ethical". But that just proves my point if such a thing is a fad. Where you eventually stop "caring" because of new shifts!. I get so disgusted when I read in magazines things like "its now fashionable to be ethical!". Like its just a temporary thing to do! Awesome...

I agree a lot on Tsas points.

Although it's not a bad idea from Interpid side. Being smart about it is a very good point. However I wouldn't say you are joining a fad if you really look into it because you like what you see, and pick up and develop it further. Fad sounds to me like joining the stream in order to be accepted. It's wrong to generalise people who are looking into something out of interest that happens to be a fad. So of course what becomes of interest doesn't have to be bad, but the fact that it follows a cycle where people lose the interest over it when the trend changes is what makes it bad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What type of thoughts and feelings enter your mind when you're thinking of death?

2. Do you think you could ever feel prepared for death (as in accepting your fate)?

3. What would you like to have experienced before dying or have you already reached that experience?

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 06-18-2009 at 02:31 PM.