View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #29
oerhört
Game fanatic

Beneath a Steel Sky is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports
One thing I don't get - why don't they charge more? I would have given them $10/game at least, and probably $30 for UAKM and Pandora. These games are hard to get anywhere else, and not having to deal with DosBoxing yourself is awesome.
The want a unified price structure. Originally, all games were supposed to be $5.99 but then that didn't go down well with all collaborators, so a two-tier system was set into place. Everything on the service is either free, $5.99 or $9.99.

The whole point of the service is to provide old games cheap. That's their USP, they don't want to be seen as a Steam or GamersGate competitor.

In short, they sell UAKM cheap because it helps their branding and their customer relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Since Overseer was Windows native I'm curious what they're going to do.. if they are just going to actually update the executable for WinXP/Vista or are they going to make you futz with stuff like Compatibility Mode, which is no different than if you already had the discs.
And that's the other part of their USP: No fuss. They will definitely do whatever it takes to make Overseer play straight away on both XP and Vista, no compatibility mode needed.

Last edited by oerhört; 06-18-2009 at 03:50 AM.