Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #2699
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I can understand why these are popular, but I have a hard time with Twitter. Because you have such a small amount of characters there is no room to explain your feelings etc. Basically all you can do is tell what's happening or point people to websites or places or things. I hoped to find part of an answer to my question here, but alas.
The 140 character limit is part of its draw, particularly in this 21st century era of sound and site bytes. How, say, can you distill a profound thought, an insight, observation, a mood, into so small a space? Succinctness and brevity are your friends, as is a well rounded vocabulary. Or you can simply be simple. But once you get the hang of it you flow from one tweet to another and you can decipher others' tweets.

Twitter takes time and patience. After a while it reveals to you why it's a huge phenomenon.

Quote:
People who do that are to be pitied because they try so hard to belong to something.
Maybe some of them are still working on creating their own identity, so they try things here and there.

Quote:
Where did you get that idea? That was not at all what I meant. Young people are on average more susceptible to new things in their environment, and because they are still finding their own identity are more prone to trying out things like new fads. But I know quite a few people of my age who still try out wuite a few new fads when they come along. There's nothing wrong with that.
Some people are self developed sooner so they have other interests. Some people have such a strong and well grounded sense of self that they can easily transform a trend on themselves and make it look like they are one who started it. Some people may never find their true self.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien