View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
orient

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
You make good points, but my thinking is that the environments ought to catch up as well. The thought of my character moving with urgency and determination gets me excited. Often times with adventure games, there's an incredibly urgent situation unfolding and yet the character is taking his/her sweet ass time just the same as before the emergency started happening. Still Life 2 is the worst example of this syndrome I've seen in years. "OMG I NEED TO FIND THE ANTIDOTE IN ONE MINUTE OR I'M GOING TO DIE!!!" and then she casually strolls along. It makes the drama almost a non-starter.
I agree 100%. Some adventure games really lack the feeling of you making a difference in the game world. There's so little that actually reacts to you that sometimes, being able to examine a lot of things just doesn't cut it. Your left feeling like your character may as well not exist and it may be suitable if you just examined these scenes as an ominous, God-like figure.

That's why subtleties make a huge difference in adventure games. You click on something or talk to someone that may not be relevant at all, but your character still interacts with it, has a unique animation or says something humorous...those things make the game world seem more real. A lot of the best adventure games have this mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
2) To make animations fluid, limbs often move almost the same amount between each frame. unlike real movement which is more explosive and erratic. This makes movement seem slow, even if the time to perform an action is as fast as, or even faster than it would normally be for a real person. It's especially noticable when someone picks up an item. 8 seconds is not an unreasonable amount of time to pick something up, and pocket it. Just try it. A real person would probably spend something like half a second reaching for the item, 3 seconds grabbing and making sure the grip is good, half a second bringing the item back to his pockst and 4 seconds pocketing it. A game character would spend 2 seconds reaching, 2 seconds grabbing, 2 seconds bringing it to the pocket, and 2 seconds pocketing in one fluid motion... which seems slow even if the total time for the action is the same.
While you're probably spot-on about the limbs moving the same amount during each frame so that the animation doesn't look jerky, I can't say I take 8 seconds to pick something up and put it in my pocket I'd say about half that on average - much quicker than in your average adventure game.