View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
RockNFknRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.vullings View Post
Most 3RD person video games (First person shooters etc) that people are used to playing nowadays are actually much sped up from real life. Even a 'walk' in most FPS games is extremely quick.

In fact, if you were to slow them down to real-life speed, they would be extremely frustrating to play. It is a big problem for developers/animators - how to speed things up so that game players are not frustrated (because unlike in real life where you are happy to walk a city block in 3 minutes, you expect it to take 30 seconds max in a game!) while still keeping the movement and animation realistic.

I haven't played some of the games mentioned so can't comment on them - but could it be that the games are close to at real-life speed, but perhaps you are used to the faster speeds that are the norm in games now?
It might be a mix of that but nah most adventure games are clearly slowed down from real life. If anything they should err on the side of being too fast, in my opinion. What you're talking about is action games, which I agree can be faster than real life and that's usually a good thing.