View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
RockNFknRoll

Default Why are all adventure games in slow-mo?

It just occurred to me that I can hardly think of any adventure game where the characters and the actions move at real life human speeds. We get used to the standard, so you might not have thought about it, but when you think of real life and what it would like to watch someone walk around or jog or pick up something, you realize how crazily slowed down everything is in games. It's like straight up slow motion For example, when you pick something up in almost all adventure games, they sloooowly reach their arm out. Their walking is at a snail's pace by real life standards. Or when they jog there's a total weightlessness to everything, like they're on the moon. It really tests your patience after a while waiting for each action to complete, and it sucks the life out of the game.

Granted, I've been trying to get through Still Life 2 which is just unacceptably slow and laggy, but it's really like 99% of games.

I'd love to see a game where the animation was really made to look HUMAN. Where movements were real life speed, sometimes jerky, no nonsense. That should be something that, with modern tech and physics engines, is a priority in pushing games forward, and it should apply to adventure games too. It would probably have a much larger impact than graphical quality even, in terms of immersion.

Of course, I'm discounting things like the old sierra games running on modern systems where they can be turned up to bolt across the screen in a blink.

Do you agree with me? Are there any games that really get it right?