View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
orient

I'm playing Snatcher at the moment and I can't stop thinking about how it'd make a great DS game. No graphical upgrades needed - the game would look beautiful on the DS screens. The shooting segments and the user interface could be made a lot smoother with touch-based controls.

I know this one will never happen, but I'd like to see a remake of The Longest Journey in real time 3D. TLJ's pre-rendered backgrounds almost hold up today, but not quite and the character models are extremely blocky and basic; N64 styles, with bad lip-sync and facial animation. The ugliest part of the game, though is the interface design. Those big, horrible icons that appear when you interact with something...and the ugly pattern that's constantly at the bottom of the screen, ready to be filled with even more ugly menus and text for conversations. You're inventory's a pain too, how you have to drag an item out of the inventory space to use it...and how you can't access your diary with the press of a button (unless I'm missing something?) And while I'm complaining, the maps to select which location to navigate to are also pretty unappealing.

Little tweaks to this game would go a long way. Perhaps the longest way... It's still a visually interesting game, but it's one of those games that I wish I could explore properly in 3D - not just go from scene to scene - because the worlds are so wonderful.