View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #152
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Interview: David Cage of Quantic Dream and Heavy Rain | Joystiq

Quote:
...what we really do is we build empathy for these characters. We want to give you the feeling that you really care for them...

I didn't want to deal with [making Heavy Rain an adventure game]....It became very complicated and I got the feeling that it would take me away from what I was trying to achieve, which was really trying to create an emotional experience, something that would be really immersive and emotionally involving.

We are really, really far away [from making emotionally involving games for MATURE ADULTS]. We are light years away to be honest. And this is because we don't dare stop doing what we have been doing for 15 years. I mean, let's stop making games for kids and teenagers. Let's ask ourselves the real questions. Let's change the way we see interface. Let's change some of the traditional game conventions that we have had for 15 years that we take for granted, like, you cannot make a game if there is no ramping, if there is no game over, if you don't progress in difficulty, etc.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien