View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #92
Foozwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
But with me, I've moved on. Many of the most important and characteristic qualities of the bona fide adventure game have made their way into such highly impressive, dynamically progressive, inventive, commercially successful, and critically acclaimed games like Mass Effect (writing, story, dialogue, characterization, exploration), Portal (puzzles), Fable II (story, exploration), Okami (puzzles, exploration), and others (click each title for a respective brief clips of gameplay or cinematic).
That's interesting because I've come to realise that one of the key aspects I've always gotten/enjoyed/sought in adventure games aside from the plot/story is exploration, and while I still do get that from the genre, I increasingly find I get the same sensation/reward in games like the Legend of Zelda series (particularly Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker), and oddly enough, the Grand Theft Auto series.

Both encourage me to explore just for the fun of it, and to be honest, in the case of GTA, I never bother actually finishing the main storyline, since I prefer to veer off and do my own thing: trying to get to location 'x', just to see what's there, or to see if it's even possible to get to 'x' in the first place, etc.

Even with the Zelda games, while I do tend to at least finish those, half the fun is just in poking around, to see what's there, what the designers might have hidden, etc. Okami works well on that level, too.