View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #81
aries323

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
This is what bothers me about the genre. Point and click is not dead. There are quite a few people that visit this forum that become outraged if a game is made without this dated gameplay mechanism.

Frogwares who develop the Sherlock Holmes games even went to the extent of totally revamping SH The Awakened to accommodate the traditional AG'er. Why should game devs bother with trying to innovate when many people don't want it? They can continue to pump out traditional AG's with dated graphics, convoluted puzzles and weak storylines because that's exactly what sells within the genre. And why not? There's much cheaper to make after all.

While I admit that games like Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy and The Experiment have their faults, they at least tried something new in the genre. I'm not saying all AG's are in this mold. I recently completed Lost Crown, and while it had it's fair share of things I personally don't like in an AG, it also contained some fresh ideas that the genre is desperately in need of IMO.
Frogwares remade SH - The Awakening to make it third person as well as first person due to many people (including me) getting vertigo (motion sickness) playing the game in first person. The game was not changed from (full) 3D to
point and click.

Schizm 2 is also point and click, with screens. You point and click with your mouse, as I remember it. This is what point and cl; other control schemes are of course the use of the keyboard, WSAD keys and the use of a gamepad.

I doubt many of us said anything negative about Indigo Prophecy, and The Experiment (apart from the horrible controls). This goes as well for Dreamfall, while generally hailed for its storym the controlband is (and was) really awfull.
It was clear, at least to me, that Funcom (and Ragnar) wanted to make some quick and fast money by releasing a sequel to the The Longest Journey. And do this they made it for the Xbox (360) and added some fighting and stealth sequences that weren't very well made anyway.

Which adventure games have weak graphics? The SH games have pretty graphics; the Dracula: Origin game like wise, A Vampire Story; Ceville, Scorpio Ritual, So Blonde, Belief and Betryal all had medium to good graphics, I find.
And decent stories and nice puzzles, too.

These games do not have graphics like Call of Duty 4, of course, they still quite good and ok graphicswise, I find.

Many of the gamers that play adventuregamers are, in fact, senior citizens who might not have as strong hands as young people doo or suffer from arthritis. This means they can (only) play games using the mouse for control.
And that's probably why so many adventure fans are asking for point and click games where they use the mouse controlling the game.