View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #29
loobylou26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
No one said it was part-adventure "just because there is a basic story", so I'll ignore the strawman argument. But to answer the question before it, it's more than a hidden object game and partly an adventure because:

A) Determining the object list is an entirely different layer of puzzle-solving not found in HOGs. The objects aren't hidden; they're in plain view serving as clues to the answers. It's more of a word game than a HOG. In fact, it's almost an anti-hidden object game.

wow how? sorry for my dumbfounded answer to this remark but seriously?!? the game maybe a slightly new twist to a HOG but none the less it is still a HOG,and if you would really like to go down the route of a word game being adventure then maybe beeline should be considered one 2? also to be brutally honest i dont understand the steadfast defensiveness of a few of the admin of this site. this game is casual! the makers and storyline may be well above what you would expect from a casual game however the gameplay is not hugely different. imho you are basically looking at a match 3 game with the twist of it being a match 4 for instance and rating it along such greats as tlj or myst. absurdity. the game maybe pretty it may have a twist but it defo aint ALL THAT. again if the site is to start to review casual games then why not lost in the city (replayed today and i love it ) or many of the other great casual titles that are around?

Quote:
B) The item collection sequences in 3CM are fully integrated into the storyline. There's a reason for what you're doing, and how you do impacts what happens. In most HOGs, most casual games in general, the gameplay is simply an end in and of itself. Here it's a means to legitimately serve the story. The fact that the depth and prevalence of the story blows most adventures away certainly doesn't hurt, but the integration is the key.
seeing as there is a max of 3 words per scene it is hardly a challenge now is it? and considering the designers place the items to be found to match the words again not really too complex for them tbh. also i seem to be back on the track of an interactive movie considering as you say we should bypass the gameplay and concentrate on the fact that the story is unfolding. also i am very intrested in how my finding a cushion in the shape of a heart or a mask adds to the whole story issue?!?

Quote:
Those two points combine to fit AG's basic definition of an adventure: "Adventure games focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework." That's not our full definition, but it's the key foundation. If your own definitions are different, that's fine, but this is ours, and has been as long as I can remember. We were going to cover it anyway, so the only difference is that we graded this one, and honestly, I can't understand why anyone would be bothered that we did.
i guess i just expected that the site would either include all or none. to include just certain casual games and rate them alongside the greats (4 stars in this instance) just seems slightly strange to me

Last edited by stepurhan; 05-08-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Fixing quotes