Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
noknowncure

I agree with a lot of what Gonzosports says. While I admit that I enjoy a ridiculous, contrived Adventure Game puzzle as much as the next fan, I wish the genre would explore different possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
you should try to challenge yourself outside of your genre pigeonhole.
I think this is a really excellent point. Some Adventure Game fans seem to have a very specific view of other game genres and by avoiding them, they're missing out on opportunities to appreciate other avenues of storytelling.

I've played many games that contain elements that I wish could influence AGs.

Ever since playing games like Majora's Mask and the Hitman series, I've wanted AGs to take advantage of their mechanics. A world where the characters go about their business regardless of whether you're there to watch. Their routines becoming an integral part of the gameplay.

Games like - as you mention - Fallout 3, where your exploration and gradual understanding of the vast environment itself is the key to uncovering the stories within. Hell, the parts of the game in towns and villages tend to feel like mini Adventure Games in themselves - Little to no combat. Conversations with diverse characters. Quests.

The karma system from RPGs would be a great addition to AGs. Different ways to complete quests, depending on what type of character you choose to play. Your choices influencing how different people treat you.

My favourite AG puzzles are the kind that don't feel like puzzles at all. I've always thought that the notepad in Discworld Noir - also seen in The Shivah and Blackwell series - is an intuitive and entirely logical way of implementing gameplay that feels natural. I'm not entirely sure why it's not been used more often.