View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #61
oerhört
Game fanatic

I get your point, what I was trying to imply was just that as a person actually rather interested in adventure games, they tend to fail to make an impression. That is, I'm actually really rather interested in those games, and tend to check them up on a regular basis whenever one hits the mainstream coverage. But that is not all that often. The concepts need to be strong enough to make mainstream gaming magazines cover them, the graphics should be distinct enough to do the same, and so on.

I'm actually not saying the adventure genre is dead -- actually, I find "genre X is dead" a rather tired and unhelpful concept -- but I was trying to point out that the examples that the previous poster gave aren't worth much to convince the general consumer that adventures are exciting, since few of them made the headlines at all.

If I was to convince someone that adventures are not dead, I'd choose Heavy Rain. Now there's an adventure game that is getting the headlines. I realize Quantic Dream have a rather helpful economic situation with Sony right now, but there are other ways of achieving the same attention without it having to cost your left leg. Fahrenheit did manage to gather quite a crowd as well, as did The Longest Journey.

To my mind, all you have to do is to make a through-and-through quality game and be able to actually communicate it through marketing, covers, concept art and previews to the mainstream gaming public. It's easier than ever these days, since good indie titles are seriously "in".

I'm not saying that garnering attention is necessarily easy, but adventure game developers seem to be making a particularly bad job of it most of the time.

And yeah, part of getting attention is to have a new concept. (Instead of offering a rehash of Monkey Island mechanics, stripped of the humor.)

Last edited by oerhört; 05-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.