View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #409
SamandMax
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I just missed the playthrough but I finally got around to playing this game and I was kind of blown away by how good it is. It's hard to remember the last time I played an adventure game of this size and scope, all of the other recent horror games I've played -- Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening; Darkness Within; Scratches -- they're good, but they just feel so empty and slight. The Lost Crown is truly grand in scope, and unlike the aforementioned games, it never feels sterile or empty. It gives you a massive location to explore but packs each area with detail and life so it's always exciting to snoop around the next spooky locale thrown at you. A sense of discovery is one of the most important aspects in adventure games and I don't think any game has done it this well in years. This is a game so big that it gives you not 1 but 2 churches to explore! 2!!! And both are unique and fascinating to explore in their own right. Sure, there are a lot of annoying flaws like the inability to skip through dialog, the frequent backtracking, some annoying puzzles and cheesy and repetitive voice acting, but none of this stuff ever wrecks the game, just makes it occasionally frustrating or cheesy. There's so many good things about the game that all of the negatives are pretty much wiped clean; all the stuff with the Ager brothers, the nightmare room sequence, the midnight trek through the museum; there are single moments and scenes in this game that are better than the entirety of some modern adventure games. I love this game.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing