View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #45
darthmaul

"if you wish to stick to Bioware games its better graphics, better voice, better dialogue system, newer & better AD&D and developemt of mod tools"

Graphics are incredibly unimportant for good gameplay, which is at the crux of what makes a game great. Besides, even indie games like Lost crown look beautiful. Other games like Nikopol look absolutely fantastic.

Voice- AGs have voice too, and many are done incredibly well.

"Better dialogue system"- Your opinion. Imo, not only is the dialogue as obvious as could be as to whether it'll make you good or evil, it is still the same as it was 10 years ago. Additionally, games like Fallout 1-2 STILL did it way better with tons more REAL options. If anything, it has regressed.

"Newer and better D&D"- This is a meaningless statement to me. Using the same game system or modified slightly for over 10 years is the very definition of stagnant. I mean, how many times can you play the system without being bored to tears with it? I know I have.

In an rpg, using the same levelling system and mock "choices" gets repetitive. It is the core of the game- levelling/combat/dialogue.

Mod tools are nice. Hey, ever hear of AGS? You know, the same one that has been modified to produce amazing graphics while still letting average joe create his own games for many many years already?

I get it, you want better graphics and more mainstream. However, that does not make the genre, which is thriving with tons of quality games, "dead."

Additionally, a majority of the rpg scene on the pc is dominated by indie works like Avernum/Geneforge and others.