Thread: Recent Splurges
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #514
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Aww, German isn't that hard if you're used to it. Though I admit you really have to be used to it for it to be really easy.

Lots of text about how difficult German is...

But really, once you've gotten used to it, it becomes second nature. You learn vocab words with the pronoun in school to start with, so you rarely have to look it up - you would never learn only the word "Regen" as a vocab word, it would always be "der Regen". Also, you rarely hear a word used without some kind of pronoun defining its gender, so even if you never learned it in school you likely won't have to look up its gender. In fact, I can't remember me ever having to look up the gender of a word in German in my entire life. Its similar with french vocab words. You always have a "la" or "le" in front of it.

...goes on about how easy German is compared to, say, French
Thanks for the explanation Jaz. But you're a language-nut, while I am a nanotechnology nut. So for me languages are quite complicated. Are you in for a short, unscientific but fun test? If German is (allegedly) easy for Dutch people, then Dutch should be easy for German people, right? So can you read the Dutch part of my website? You can check wether you understand it by reading the English part. They're mostly identical.