View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
imisssunwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasus View Post
Well thought out.

However it seems to me that what you describe is not an adventure game but a RPG.
You are very correct that many of the features I would love to see in adventure games are from rpg games. However for me, a RPG game is an adventure game with more focus on combat and character stats instead of puzzle solving.

The reason I am using rpg games to see what can improve adventure games is that this is a genre which has evolved remarkably since the early 90s (I dont mean to start a flame if Planescape is still the top rpg and is left unsurpassed , that's late 90s!).

Adventure developers could take what is good from newer RPG games without altering the nature of the genre, they don't have to implement stats, classes, alignments, gear and all that. That would break the essence of adventure games, I cannot imagine gearing up Guybrush to face LeChuck, nor choosing him to be a Chaotic neutral islander. However, I would love to see the non-linearity, the big worlds, the dynamic environment and the module tools of rpg games