View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default WarioWare Gamecube: Classic Nintendo (the bad kind of classic)

I loved WarioWare on the GBA, and was really looking forward to the Gamecube multiplayer version. I'd only seen a few screens and it looked very promising, but now I've read Gamespot's review of the Gamecube version, and I'm a bit annoyed.

From the screenshots I saw it looked like the art had received a very nice high-res makeover, but it seems like they only did that for the menus and loading screens... The rest of the game (aka the mini-games, the bulk of WarioWare) is all blurry GBA artwork hastily juxtaposed with the new loading screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
The same graphics are used with the same slightly blurry fidelity you may be familiar with from the Game Boy Player. Yes, there's definitely a charm to those graphics, but taken in the context of a game that already appeared on a handheld last year, the look of WarioWare on the GameCube feels like some sort of cruel joke. Making the contrast even starker are the non-game graphics. Everything from the elevator that separates minigames to the screens in all the multiplayer games is razor sharp, extremely colorful, and really quite charming. Then the minigame opens up, and you're looking at a blurry GBA game.
That is a classic Nintendo cheap cop-out. Surely they've said something somewhere about how they want to "preserve the fun people enjoyed with the GBA version" or something, but really they're just crapping out a port to make a few extra bucks.

The mini-games in WarioWare were begging to be turned into full-fledged multiplayer mini/party-games, and I flipped out when I heard Nintendo was actually going to do it, but as usual they took the quick and easy way out and ended up producing something that's clever sounding, but in the end looks to be flawed and mediocre.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens