View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
dantebk

Personally, I would rather not have to give a score to a game when I review it, because I think the presence of a "score" is what causes a lot of misunderstandings and arguments among the readers, but I also realize that readers (even those who complain about them) really like scores, and that to stop having them would make a lot of people go somewhere else for their reviews.

For the record, for those wondering if Adventure Gamers is too much of a "business" these days, this is an all-volunteer writing staff. We do it because we love adventure games!

About low-budget games: If someone can't afford to have great voice-acting or really well-animated characters, I wish they wouldn't bother including terribly animated characters and awful voice acting. If a game was released with identical aesthetics to the original Secret of Monkey Island, and it was really well-written and fun to play, then I wouldn't care about the early 90s graphics or the lack of voice acting. I just want good stories, interesting characters, and fun well-balanced puzzles. Still, if you go through all the effort to add 3D models that look horrible and voice acting that detracts more from the story than it adds, I will certainly say so in my review.