View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #868
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

ObsCure 2: The Aftermath
Bad controls and story ruins this sequel.

Story: Bad trip dude
The events are moved from Leafmore High to Fallcreek University where the nightmares begin again, now as a result from inhaling smoke from a new type of weed. Some characters return from the first game, still tormented by their memories. Unlike the first game, there's an ongoing story this time around that actally use the characters, building upon them as the story goes along. It just doesn't happen to be a very good one.

Engine: Graphics & Sound
Not much to say here... ObsCure 2 is a PS2 port. It defenitely doesn't look like a 2008 PC game but I didn't find the game to look disturbingly bad and it doesn't look extraordinary good either. The voiceacting is rather poor, although sometimes it's so bad you have to laugh at it. The music is probably the best part, it's actually really good.

Gameplay
Gameplay ruined most of ObsCure 2 for me. The first problem is the save system that doen't allow you to save when you want. The game have some kind of checkpoint system in which you must use flowers to save. These are scattered through the game but you must save where you find them (in the first game you found limited disks that you could take with you). Then there's the controls that simply was too clunky to be used properly. You find limited amount of ammo throughout the game and you will use it all, which meant that the best weapon for a fight was the weapon you had ammo for. This lead to a constant weaponswapping. Defeating monsters usually meant tapping the firebutton wildly and hope you hit something as there was no time to think or use any strategy in a battle. The system for using equipment was really bad and you will probably fail to use healing items in combat. ObsCure 2 had given up the "fixed camera" of the first game and allow you to control the camera, but not enough and you will often find yourself cursing the game for not allowing you to look where you want to look.

Final Thoughts
I didn't have too many survival horror games left to play when I decided to check out ObsCure 1&2. And so I did. Am I glad I finished them? Maybe. Was it fun? Not really.