View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
Fantasysci5
Stalker of Britain

Handsfree-I hope you keep going with it until the story gets really going. I know the intro was hard to hear, but I think I got it down, so if you'd like me to tell you anything you ight have missed them saying in teh intro, you can just ask me.

Well, as Handsfree has said, this chapter is pretty slow, setting up the story, and can be done pretty quickly. So we are going to move on to the 2nd chapter Monday February 23rd.

Well here is my (I'm afraid) long list of my thoughts on this first chapter.
(I made 3 pages of notes to talk about; don't look at me like that!!! lol) There are some significant spoilers in the spoiler tags, so if you haven't played TLC yet, don't look at the spoiler tags. Once you've played it through, though, you should come back and see what you missed in those

Firstly; the game packaging. I realize that packaging in the US and other places are different. In the US version, there is a forboding-looking white hosue over some train tracks, with a ghostly print over them. The train track, yeah I get that, but does anyone have an idea of what the house is in the game? The other version, I believe, has a girl petting a crow and leaving a blood streak, although I've onlysaw that on the site. Who do you think this girl is? This "Lucy" we saw going through the Fens? lol

In the booklet that comes with the game, I found a contradiction with the game and the booklet. In the booklet, it makes it sound like Nigel was at his job, and stumbled upon Hadden industries website. But obviously in the game, he *worked* there, since he hs an ID and he makes mention of a "late arrival" in the paperwork. Mr. Crow (or Hare, can't tell them apart) refers to Nigel as "one of us", meaning he works with them, not
Spoiler:
supporting the theory that Nigel is a computer simulated version of Nigel, like them.
I believe that that theory, Nigel works for Hadden, and has to take part in an experiment
Spoiler:
with the computer generated world of "Saxton" made with the black and white photos being set up to the 'chasm' that the ghosts are on he edge of. Mr. Hare's report has an interesting quote, "What terrible effect would (pulling the ghosts out of the chasm and into this world) have on our world?" Nigel was put in with the ghosts to see what the ghosts would want with them, etc.

Did you guys see, for your first time people, that at the bottom of the screen, there's documents showing what he got from Hadden and why he's on the run. I didn't notice this on my first playthrough until we had to use the key, so I just though I'd let you in on quite a bit of background information found in those documents.

The introduction logo had me wondering if "Darkling Room" is singular or plural, since it said "Darkling Room present", but it sounds like it should be plural. Anyway, also the interesting logo of Darkling Room shows an ordinary man, but his shadow has a hat and is so much more, although we don't know. Jonathan, I believe, gave advice somewhere that the biggest clue to Mr. Hadden was in the very beginning. Some think it might be the title screen where you can choose to start, etc. But I was thinking of that logo. But anyway, *cough*

Obviously in this game, May Day is coming, which in the booklet says is a powerful night in the Pagen calendar. Another game which Jonathan was a big part of, "Barrow Hill", also dealt with the Autumn Equinox, which is another "big day in the Pagen calendar" if my memory serves me right.

Mr. Hare and Mr. Crow, Mr. Hadden's employees in the beginning, I refuse to think that's their actual names. So are they codenames, and for what purpose? (It's interesting to note that on "This Haunted Land", a website on paranormal activity that Jonathan leads, they visited a haunted pub named "Hare and Crow"...) Also near the entrance of D Labs, we see a wheelchair,
Spoiler:
which people who've played it before will have seen later on in the game. And the Lost Crown on a stand by Mr. Hadden is almost exactly the one in the museum later, which would give credit to the theory of Saxton being Mr. Hadden's computer generated world.
In the documents that Nigel stole, it mentions "Project Dark Fall", which is probably the chasm. A nod to Jonathan's first games, but does it have any connection to this story even more? And anyone who has played the first "Dark Fall" will perk up at the familiar name of Nigel. I see Nigel as Jonathan, since he probably programmed Nigel like himself and he voiced him. And that goatee is awesome. That's just me, though.

Anyway, following the story, I find it interesting that Hadden knows where Nigel is going
Spoiler:
supporting the idea that it's a computer simulation, and he has cameras everywhere because he made Saxton.

The train in interestingly called "The Sleepwalker", which supports the theory
Spoiler:
that all of this game is Nigel dreaming. This would also explain why everything is black and white with a bit of color, because it is said that that's how we dream, but I do not agree with this theory.
Also, the Station Master doesn't think the train is out of place, when Nigel calls it a reinactment. This supports the theory that
Spoiler:
he is a ghost stuck in his own time in the chasm.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes