Thread: Phantasmagoria
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
It should have had the choice to end somewhat better than it did.
Agreed. I remember getting to the end and being horribly depressed. What a downer. (I had actually just moved to college and we had ethernet in the room -- a big deal at the time! I remember going into a Sierra chat room to try to find out if that was the only ending or if I was missing something, and the two guys in the room just wanted to ask my a/s/l. Also a downer.)

The first time I played it, I found it interesting -- it was the first FMV game I'd ever played besides 7th Guest (which was sort of a hybrid), and liked that aspect of it -- and I don't remember feeling it was cheesy or too easy so much as very quick/short. For a 7 CD game, it goes by fast.

The second time through I enjoyed the game more for its camp value, but I was also more put off by some of the grosser scenes and I gave up very near the end. I just couldn't stand watching
Spoiler:
Adrienne have her head chopped off or her body chopped in half or whatever else
any more. Knowing it had a depressing ending anyway, I couldn't muster the energy to see it through.

It's a fine game to play, if only for its historical value. Very different from Roberta Williams' other games and a pretty ambitious project for the time. If you're just looking for a good FMV and/or Sierra game, though, GK2 wins by far. I haven't played Phantasmagoria 2 (even though I own it)... I'm not really a fan of horror games, so the premise puts me off.