View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #62
deepdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
01. Gabriel Knight - Because he is the most layered, intriguing, complex, hung-up character ever to walk my screen. He's more than realistic; he's definitely real. Plus, he's charming and lovable, tender when you don't expect him to be and harsh when you want he's just the opposite. And his tale through three games is a tale of meaningful self-discovery and maturation, of acceptance of one's responsibility and role, and love. In this regard, I always like to remember what Jane wrote about this particular subject: "part of the theme in GK3 was about family, and the game's ending (not to give spoilers) has Gabriel finally getting his comeuppance for his behavior with Grace. [...] Personally, I just don't think Gabriel was likely to ever turn around on this issue without getting a fairly big pie in the face first. The end of GK3 and my plans for GK4 were that pie"
Beautiful description of Gabriel Knight, couldn'tve explained it better myself.

Like you said, I think my appeal to Gabe and also what contributed to his realism was the fact that he was flawed, compassionate but not, genius but not, amongst other things. He was truly multi-faceted. He wasn't permanently slapstick, or permanently genius, or permanently rough and cool like Ben from Full Throttle. He's like we are--he's not one thing through and through.