View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #3164
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Edit: Tell me, Squinky, don't you work with people who make games? I'd assume they'd be more likely to share common ground with you. Or is all that done over the internet?
No, it's done in person. I actually quite like the guys I work with. (And yes, they're pretty much all guys. My favourite female friend at the company got laid off a few months ago. I'm still a bit upset about that. I hope we get to work together again someday.) The thing is, the guys I talk to most often don't always seem to love games for the same reasons I do. I'm all about telling a story and looking at the big picture (as you know), while the other programmers and designers are more interested in the little implementation details -- how the game engine works, how complex the combat system is, that sort of thing. Which is good, because you need both types of people on a project of this sort, but sometimes a little lonely, when I feel like the odd one out. Plus, I'm pretty new to the industry, so I tend to be more vocal than others about doing what I like rather than catering to what sells well -- and I fear people take me a bit less seriously because of that. I try to console myself by saying they hired me for a reason, but sometimes I also wonder whether they'll discover that there really is no place for me in this hit-driven industry and fire me as a result.

That, and a lot of the guys have lives outside of work. Spouses and kids and that sort of thing. It seems to me that when people have families of their own, they don't really seek out deep and meaningful friendships, since their emotional needs are pretty much already met. As such, even though we have things in common, there's still a certain superficiality to our interactions. Not saying I don't value being able to talk to people with common interests. Just that I'd also like to be able to talk to people about my feelings. Seems like at the moment, I can only really do that with certain internet friends.

On a side note, I've always liked that little interactive feature you have on your blog.

Last edited by Squinky; 02-12-2009 at 10:59 AM.