View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Sokal has a wonderful, maybe even unique graphical style, and I give him respect for that. He might even be a good storyteller as far as the comics are concerned (I didn't read them). But he is a loosy game designer.
Funny thing, I see the other way around: a not-so-good storyteller but a good game designer

Quote:
But I don't understand when players who still remember what adventure genre used to be call it "a classic" and "a revolution in genre". It didn't bring anything new, it killed interactivity, it made puzzles feel as an unnecessary part of the gameplay, it showed that a mobile phone and several phrases in a dialog tree are enough to make a characters "deep" and "developed".
Well, I can't recall anyone calling it "revolutionary". It's true that it killed interactivity and that he can't resist, even for a second, the comparison with the masterpieces of the Golden Age (), like Gabriel Knight or Tex Murphy. But - released in a tight period of mediocre games - Syberia was, at least for me, like fresh, icy air. It was perfect? No. It was interactive? Sokal doesn't even know the meaning of the word. But it had a good, little story, a tender character and - first and foremost - a heart. A meaning. And that's quite unusual this day.

Quote:
I just hope Jensen, the one of the few really talented writers/adventure designers, will show everyone what adventure games used to be.
In this hope, I'm with you, all and all! Sometimes, this hope, especially when I read 'Twas the night before, became (and becomes) a certainty.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box