View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
colpet
Easily amused

Quote:
Is it because of the inherent difficulty of timed response? I wonder if players who come to the adventure game genre because they can relax, take things slowly, and work at their own pace might feel betrayed when suddenly they have to DO THE RIGHT THING OR DIE. This I understand, especially for those who have difficulty playing action games due to hand-eye coordination.
It is for me. Irregardless of thinking through the moves to complete a sequence, it boils down to reflex timing. You are either good at it or not. No amount of hints or walkthroughs are going to get you through the action if you are not able to complete it. The only solution is to have someone more adept than you solve it, or get a saved game from the internet. For me, action means frustration.

Quote:
The Gabriel Knight Trilogy is a great example of adding a real sense of danger to the storyline, particularly near each game's finale. The timed navigation, chasing, strategic thinking, and puzzle solving really worked well for me. They were fantastically adrenaline-pumping, yet not too difficult. The only thing I could say against them is that the multiple tries that are practically required to get by on your first time playing can result in breaking the immersion (such as in GK3, where you can't die for the entire game until the final section). Regardless, they added something to the game, for me at least.
Interesting example. I really enjoyed GK 3, with the exception of the pendulum sequence at the end. That took me about 2 hours to get through. Over and over again, I was tearing my hair out and on the verge of a migraine. Not fun in the least.
I'm at the point where I read game reviews very carefully with respect to actiony bits. The inclusion of action sequences that seem to present a challenge means I will not buy the game.