View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #3398
Ninja Dodo

I saw Verhoeven's Zwartboek over christmas. It left an impression... maybe partly cause it hit a little close to home (some in my family were involved in the Dutch resistance) but regardless... an interesting film. At the end you don't know whether to be more horrified by the nazis or the behaviour of your own countrymen after the liberation...

Also saw the second Arn movie, Riket vid vägens slut. Good movie. It managed to successfully distill the books without losing too much of the story and even if you haven't read them I think the film stands on its own merits pretty well. In a way Guillou has sort of created a founding mythology of Sweden somewhat like Tolkien did for England, though without the fantasy... it's a bit like the Steven Saylor style of taking history and filling in the blanks.

Also saw Fanny & Alexander which I'm ashamed to admit is the first time I've ever seen a Bergman movie. Very interesting. Really explores the characters and does so with great visual flair and an eye for detail. I shall have to watch some more...