View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #14
Totoro

Syberia Pack:

I was able to download Syberia Pack (the Adventure Shop sent me some "unprotected" links) and it also seemed to install correctly. But both games terminate a few seconds after launch (possibly due to the copy protection).

Syberia 1 & 2 Collector's Edition DVD-ROM:

I've had more success with the collector's edition (purchased from Amazon.co.uk). I created a new "winxp" bottle, and chose the "Full install" option of Syberia's installer (so that the DVD-ROM isn't required to play).

Syberia 1 doesn't work in full-screen mode (unlike the CD-ROM version). I can hear the intro movie, but the screen is blank. The solution is to use Command-Option-R to restore the display, then Command-M to minimize the window, and finally restore the minimized window (by clicking its dock icon). I haven't fully tested this edition, so there may be other problems I haven't encountered.

Syberia 2 locks up whenever the in-game menu is displayed, and also when Colonel Emeliov enters the general store. The solution is to change the Detail Level to Low or Medium (in the options screen of the main menu). There are some other minor problems: a loud chugging noise in the main menu and end credits; the thumbnail images of the save/load slots are missing; and lip-syncing isn't working. I managed to complete Syberia 2 without any technical difficulties (but I did use http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/syberia2.php a few times).

I'm using CrossOver Games 7.1.1 and Mac OS X 10.5.6 on a 17-inch MacBook Pro (from July 2008) with a GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor. A different software or hardware configuration may give different results. A newer version of CrossOver Games may break compatibility with Syberia 1 & 2, because only the supported games (e.g. Half-Life 2) are likely to be tested.