View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #32891
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Also, Jazzmatazz, do people use the term "Affengeil" or just "Geil" (not in the literal sense though, but sort of as "awesome!" or "super-awesome" in the case of "Affengeil") there in the most Deutsch of all lands? See, I think I remember that from way back in my German lessons (when I had a hugely enthusiastic (when it comes to anything German) teacher). And the term "Affengeil" is just so awesome that I'll be crushed if it's not actually used.

Well, I haven't heard specifically "Affengeil" in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's still used. Also, "Geil" is used in the sense of "awesome" too. That is actually kind of funny: You see, my mother always flinched when she heard me say "Geil" in the sense of "cool" or "awesome", because when she was young it simply meant "horny". However, I have since learned that in the middle ages, "Geil" also meant nothing else but "toll" [not "toll" as in the money you pay. "toll" in German means "awesome", "amazing", "groovy", and things along those lines. It's an adjective too, so it's never capitalised, unless it is at the beginning of a sentence. "Toll" as in the money you pay would be capitalised always, since it's a noun. Also, you can imagine that we in Germany had a bit of trouble designing the signs for Toll stations at the border, that can be understood in multiple languages. "Toll" in German is "Zoll", and you *could* basically put it both on the sign: But it would be sure to draw comments from German speakers that say that "Zoll zahlen ist nicht toll" - "Paying toll is not awesome". ) or "awesome". I guess that it could have transformed into "horny" through the word "Liebestoll" which basically means "love-crazed".

I just think it's funny that it's reverted back to its original meaning again.

So yeah, Affengeil and geil are still being used.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!