View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #776
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Vampyre Story

Lots and lots of hype and expectations on this game.

Although it doesn't quite live up to that hype it is still one of the better adventure games around.

Pros

* Sumptious 2D graphics with a really cool Parallax effect. The 3D parts are functional, but glitchy - would have preferred 2D, but I understand the commercial pressures to go 3D.

* Superb interface, reminicent of Monkey Island of course, I especially liked the idea that she "remembered" some inventory items rather than carried them around, then automatically jumps back and forward to get the item when you use it.

* Decent story filled with good charactisation and some really funny lines. (Although a lot of the lines fall into smile rather than LOL)

* Lots of interactivity on each screen gives you plenty to do.

* On the whole the puzzles are fun and challenging.

Cons

* Game is too buggy for a retail release. The patch fixed some of it, but was still suffering skipping audio during cutscenes.

* Mona's voice can be grating. If she says "Froderick!" one more time Grrr.

* There can be problems with at least one puzzle if the prompts/clues are not voiced (i.e Beaker puzzle, some people complained that the "It's not sweet enough" clue didn't happen when they played)

* It suffers from the Syberia curse in that the game just stops rather than having proper ending. This makes the game feel unfinished while they make the sequel/continuation.

Overall I thought it was a brilliant game. I had lots of fun playing it (A real hark back to the Lucasarts days of old).

Some small niggles on the technical side and a script that is mildly amusing rather than hilarious may hamper it from true greatness, but for a first release this shows great promise.

Roll on the further adventure of Mona De Lafitte.

8/10