View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #768
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Oh, I loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadows of Chernobyl. It was a free-roaming game with superb graphics and atmosphere that is one of those games I just keep on playing due to the tremendous immersion, including watching the beautiful virtual sunrise... RPG style mechanics, horror themes and one of the better twists in gaming history... what's there not to like? Well, bugs probably. But Shadows of Chernobyl was an excellent game.

Then we have Clear Sky. The "prequel". Let me begin with what's new. Faction mechanics that have little impact on the game and then you must discover your own artifacts by using a tracker. Well, that's about it. And well, the story, which wasn't interesting, had no major twists etc. Clear Sky also have 3 new maps, including the Swamp in which you begin the game. And that's pretty much it, the rest of Clear Sky is reused maps, textures and content from the first game. So much in fact, that I kept feeling I was replaying Shadows of Chernobyl. The game is littered with bugs, including crashing everytime I quickloaded when dead and tons of quests that simply couldn't be fulfilled. It's also one of the most challenging games I played in a long time, due to a designer decision to not allow you to access any stores or previous areas after a certain point in the plot. That means that unless you have stacked up on healthpacks, a huge amount of money and ammunition, you will simply run out and your armor will be trash, making the game almost impossible. All in all, Clear Sky is a game for those who truly loved Shadows of Chernobyl and want more, even if that means replaying most of the original game with a weak plot. If they ever make a S.T.A.L.K.E.R 3, I would prefer if they come up with a new game. Granted, it took ages for them to develop the original one, and it shows, because the game have some of the most beautiful maps ever made in a computer game.