View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #762
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Penumbra Requiem
I have played each of the penumbra games which is a budget FPS/Adventure horror-game hybrid.

The demo prequel was enjoyable and back then a trilogy was promised. Chapter 1: Overture was a real treat but the combat was really annoying, I loved the lovecraftian story and the chapter ended in a cliffhanger that made me want more. Chapter 2: Black Plague was better than Overture much thanks to removing the combat sequences (which really didn't work out well), however, Black Plague seemed to finish the trilogy with very little left to tell. I knew there would be a trilogy, but there seemed no room for Chapter 3: Requiem. After playing it, it feels like the developers felt the same, but they simply had to make a 3rd game even if it made sense or not.

While Chapter 1 & 2 presents a story as you progress through old mines and science facilities that mostly made sense, Chapter 3 reminds me about Portal in being almost a pure puzzlegame. You progress through actual levels where in each level you must find a few specific keys that open a portal that you must go through. The story takes a backseat and very little of it makes sense. There was even some silliness coming about, such as one stage with a 3d rendition of Donkey Kong. Then it all ends in 2 endings (good/bad one), and I found neither of them satisfying.

Black Plague was really creepy, but Requiem isn't at all. It also uses nearly nothing of it's engine as you never encounter any monsters, you have no need for batteries, you never use your inventory even if it's still there.

Requiem, while chapter 3, isn't really a standalone game either, but an expansion for Chapter 2: Black Plague, and it was produced in a much shorter time than the previous two chapters, which might explain why the game turned out the way it did.

Needless to say, I am somewhat disappointed, but I would love to see another game from the same developer.