View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #13
Vernon Schillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post

Backtracking isn't an issue in Fallout 3. Once you've been somewhere once, you can instantly warp there. Trekking through bare environments is definitely a part of the game, but it isn't a bad thing -- it was designed that way. The environments are well-crafted and make the world feel huge and alive. It's definitely one of the most convincing game worlds ever conceived, along with Shenmue in my opinion.
I'd say it is an issue. I didn't find the exploration partically rewarding or fun experience. Everywhere you went you ended up in a dungeon, killing monsters. I wish you could've been able to fast travel from those locations. In the end I was so sick of dungeons, I just stopped entering them.

Most of Fallout3's content is dead wasteland, dungeons and lemonstands/mudhuts inhabitated by three people. To me the environments are anything but well-crafted, mostly they don't make sense. Citizens of wasteland must have become the most un-cooperative people in the world, because not a single believable human city with adults really exists in Fallout3, unlike in it's precessors. (Sure, few poor towns and shelters exist)