View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #188
chapter11studios
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
I haven't played A Vampyre Story, but there should be a law that tells you if a game ends with a cliffhanger ending, not really finishing off anything, the sequel should be out within a couple of months or so. I hate waiting for years (in some cases) just to see how a game ends.
I generally agree with your point that labeling would help. Something like AVS: Episode One or something. Syberia basically did the same thing where Syberia 1 ends and it's essentially half a game. I think it's partly a product of adventure games costing a lot to make and there being a point at which it becomes unprofitable to put more and more into a single game versus spreading out your costs and revenue into more than one.

On the other hand, as a publisher I can understand why sticking a "part one" on the package would be a problem. I suppose I don't mind as much as long as part two is certain to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
This is the best things about Monkey Island series, or Broken Sword. It'll end, but there's still some kind of continuation. A game shouldn't be written with a sequel in mind - an open ending is fine, but don't force us to play the sequel to see something we should've seen in the first game (which is what we pay for afterall). If they're not going to start a story that doesn't end with the first game, they better well be releasing the game sooner rather than later. Even one year is way too long to wait, imo.
The ending of MI2 is a cliffhanger, and we'll probably never know how it was originally going to be resolved, but IMO that doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game.