Thread: Mirror’s Edge
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #20
jedicri

I for one am enjoying my playthrough with Mirror's Edge. There's a certain satisfaction when you have strung together a number of moves to overcome the obstacles you see before you and that's where the immersive factor really shines in this game --- and that's pretty cool too!

Playing this on a large widescreen TV also helps the sense of immersion in that it helps you quickly scan areas you need to run to especially when you are being chased and hounded by the police. Speaking of which, you have options whether to engage them one-on-one (but this also depends on the situation you're faced) or simply run past them. There was one situation where I had no choice but to deal with 4 cops shooting at me as they were blocking the area I needed to reach. I had to separate them and draw them to me individually and not I to them. Engaging all 4 meant a quick and certain death.

Momentum is certainly key here and quickly finding the right line of sight makes your escape all the more fluid and exciting.

Regarding review comments that Mirror's Edge is repetitive ---- what games aren't? While there are certain moments of trial and error which is inevitable in any platforming game (a la Prince of Persia trilogy), the sum of parts make up for what I see is a refreshing look at the First Person game where violence and fighting is an option and not the norm.