View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
metamorphium
Afterlife guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
There are a ton of adventure games with a built in hint system.

What's so "Dynamic" about this one or is just maketing BS as usual.
Hi Lucien21,

the system is dynamic for a very simple reason. The game itself is non-linear which means you don't have to follow a straight "corridor" line of solution (think for example Sherlock Holmes and the Rose Tattoo). The in-game hint system keeps track of your progression and is able to provide you "solvable" goals for the moment. Every goal consists of several "sub-goals" needed to complete the goals. There are some slight differenciation as of some goals aren't ordered (you can make subgoals in any order) some are ordered (you need to follow each steps sequentially). The system takes care of this all and thus you always see in the diary only the currently achievable goals and in those goals only currently achievable sub-goals regardles of your in-game position. While the hints themselves are quite give-away, you never see any ahead-spoiler which happens when you for example skim through walkthrough and accidentally read too-much. You can choose how much want you the game to give you nudge (you don't have to display subgoals).

I of course didn't want to go all technical, but you asked directly where's the non-linearity and so I felt I'd reply.

Anyway, I agree with some of the posters in there, my hint system is just a gimmick on top of a really nice game and I think that you should get it because of the game itself (with really nice story and such) and not because you'd see a hint system. As a sidenote, I wouldn't design such system for majority of adventure games because Colour of Murder is quite specific in the level of non-linearity. Usually you would be better off with some sort of UHS structure, but in CoM you sometimes can complete certain goals in really different gameplay time which makes it somewhat hard to track why exactly were you stuck.

Hope this helps,
JK