View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
rtrooney
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I would say a junior High school level essay that would appropriately recieve a C+ for effort and an F for accuracy and value of content. Sigh.
I'm hard pressed to find any serious inaccuracies, other than those that might be opinion related.

One might make a case that Phantasmagoria was the first CD-only game ported to PC and not MYST. But MYST was a CD-only game only avaiable on Mac's 18 months earlier. It's a factual quibble.

One can certainly argue the statement that Sierra regretted releasing GK3, but that's an argument of opinion rather than an argument of fact. The author may, in fact, be right. If one looks at the gnashing of teeth in another thread regarding Vivendi pulling the plug on the GK support forums, one might easily hear someone at Vivendi saying, "If we hadn't released that game, (GK3,) we could have been out of this business, and never had to look back!"

Almost fifteen years after the original Sierra sale people are still clamoring for more of what came before, only better. (Thus the fan games.)

If this was truly a Jr High School essay assignment, I would rate it an A and not an A+ because of some typos. An A- on facts, only because of the Phantasmagoria question. And certainly an A based on background being given by two of the big guys that were around at the time, Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert.

That said, if this was a High School essay, or above, I might give it a C+. Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert do not define the adventure industry. There should have been more investigation. Where are the quotes from Ken and Roberta?